Sunday 20 January 2013

I've chosen my deity!

Athena represented by Disney, helmet
and owl on hand. 


After two weeks of lectures I have finally settled on which god (or goddess to be precise) I want to explore each aspect of Greek Religion with. And that is…Athena! I have to admit, I wanted it to be her from the start but I was a little intimidated to choose such a widely studied and important figure! 

So now Athena is going to help me channel each topic that we are studying into a much more manageable focus. So when we are looking at specific topics in the coming weeks, although I will look at many of the deities and Greek religion as a whole, I will try to concentrate on Athena where possible.

You will see I’ve altered my background accordingly to an image of arguably her most famous symbol, the owl. 


According to Deacy, Athena is one of the “…most widely worshipped” (p. intro) gods of Greece, perhaps as she was the guardian of the polis. In order for me to use this figure, I will need to set any perceptions I already have aside, starting fresh with this diverse deity that erupted from Zeus’ headache. 



Here Disney show her with a few more of her
famous symbols; the shield and spear.












No comments:

Post a Comment